Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Featured Artist: Studio Marcy


Today's featured artist is a lampwork bead artist sure to bring a smile to your face. Marcy Lamberson of Studio Marcy creates whimsical and fun lampwork beads and sculptures.

Marcy's background, in her own words:

My happy and somewhat quirky lampwork glass beads are designed to make the viewer grin. They are a reflection of who I am. Besides being a full time beadmaker living in Atlanta, GA, I also teach this art form both as private lessons and in groups around the country. I contribute beads to the HOPE Bracelet Project and Beads of Courage, which are two non-profits supported by glass artists. Other important facts are that I can write with both hands at the same time in opposite directions, able flip my tongue over 180 degrees, and still working on learning how to hula hoop.

What does it mean to you to "buy handmade"?

Buying handmade is having a chance to purchase an item that was made with someone's hands and heart. I know from my personal experience, when I make something, my customers have bought a small piece of who I am as a person.

How long have you been active in your craft? What inspires your work?
Although I have created artistic items all my life, I have been making whimsical lampwork glass beads for about eight years now.

Inspiration comes from everywhere. As funny as it may sound, one of the ways I look at life is through beads. I see someone's dog, who I unconsciously reconstruct into a cute bead, or a pattern on a fabric or it can even be a phrase in a story that spurs my imagination. Inspiration can come from 3-D, 2-D or even daydreaming.

Where do you sell your creations?
I primarily sell my glass beads through my etsy shop, http://www.StudioMarcy.etsy.com. It is an easy way to find my most current offerings and contact me. Often people will email me through my StudioMarcy@gmail.com to request custom bead orders- like pet or people characterization focal beads, or beads representing items that have special meaning to them.

I also have a fun daily creativity, inspiration and lampwork glass blog: http://www.StudioMarcy.blogspot.com

Are there any special accolades you have earned in your field?
Well yes, some wonderful things have occurred in my field.

This July, I am very happy to have been chosen to teach a sculptural beadmaking class for the International Society of Glass Beadmakers' International conference- The Gathering.

Last year I demonstrated and presented a program on my current work for the International Society of Glass Beadmakers.

My work has been exhibited in many locations including the following:
The Heinz Museum, Pittsburgh, PA
The American Association of Woodworkers Museum (a collaboration piece)
The Ohio Glass Museum
Houston Center for Contemporary Craft

1 comment:

  1. Really nice feature! I really admire Marcy and her work. I aspire to be a hula hooper myself!

    ReplyDelete