Thursday, May 21, 2009

Featured Artist: Niven Glass Originals




There are always a few artists whose pieces regularly draw your attention. Florence, of Niven Glass Originals makes some of the most innovative fused glass pieces I have come across to date. She brings a strong sense of design to her fused pieces, making them stand out from most other fused glass. Her "Divas" are my personal favorite, and show such personality, it is hard to believe they were created in a kiln!

I am so happy that I get to present to you, Niven Glass Originals, and I am sure you will become a fan of Florence's work, too!



What does it mean to you to "buy handmade".
Handmade to me, means just that - from the hands of an artisan or crafter. I'd like to think that someone has developed an idea from sketch to finished product.

How long have you been active in your craft?
I have been a graphic designer and illustrator since 1983. Nine years ago, I took a stained glass course that completely changed the focus of my work. Since then I've slowly replaced my paint brush with a glass cutter, and now work full time as a glass artist. Over the past four years I have eased out of stained glass and now work exclusively with fused glass - glass that I cut, layer and fuse together in a high temperature kiln.

What inspires your work?
I am seldom without a sketch book, or at least a scrap of paper. I've been doing this long enough to know that inspiration comes from all over - a passage from a book, a walk in the park, design magazines, fashion, movies. My background as a graphic designer informs how I see things; my designs tend to be clean and precise - less is definitely more. But I also like to keep a sense of humor in my work - I don't take myself too seriously.

Where do you sell your creations?
I sell my glass at several retailers here in Canada and also online through my Etsy shop - Niven Glass Originals.

4 comments: