Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Featured Artist: Wendi G of Miz Darlin'

Meet Wendi G., our newest featured artist! A recent retiree who has moved onto her dream island and on to becoming a full-time crafter, she creates beautiful hand-crocheted hats and neck warmers from non-sheep's wool: no allergies or shrinkage! She sells her creations as Miz Darlin' and her hats are all one-of-a-kind and come in all sizes, from baby, to extra large.


What does it mean to you to "buy handmade"?
'Buy handmade' is the way I try, as much as humanly possible, to live my life. It is a philosophy to me, not merely a slogan. I try to support myself creating and selling handmade goods, and I buy handmade goods whenever I can, by preference, for their superior quality and price, and the added bonus of helping others to support themselves this way. Anyone who spends any time creating and selling in any venue that is amiable to handmade, will find that it becomes a lifestyle rather than a random choice.

How long have you been active in your craft?
I have been creating since I was a small child, and always restlessly searching for whatever I can put my hand to regarding creativity--I love learning new disciplines and perfecting old ones. I have been actively crafting and selling my work for over 30 years.


What inspires your work?
My inspirations are boundless--but usually it starts with the natural world. I love doing representations of natural things or using natural elements in my work; for example, wood, or freshwater pearls. I also enjoy using elements made by others, to re-purpose or recycle parts and create new things. I am also terribly weak when it comes to texture and color--I can go wild with yarn buying, because I find a new color, texture or type of material, and I discover I cannot continue to live without acquiring it and working up something new. And let's not talk about my exotic bead addiction...



Where do you sell your creations?
I am currently selling on two online venues, Artfire and Etsy, and my blog, Ms. Exile in Paradise, has links to both these online shopping sites.. I also sell at a local weekly Farmer's Market and several craft fairs throughout the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment