Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Featured Artist: Erin of ErinNicole Jewelry

One area I have always wanted to explore is fused glass. I love how one-of-a-kind pendants and jewelry can be created by layering & melting glass. This week's featured artist, Erin of ErinNicole Jewelry, has beautiful fused pieces that show how amazing fused glass can be. Not only is she a talented artist, she has also taught a number of jewelry design classes, all before graduating college!


What does it mean to you to "buy handmade"?
I think that "buying handmade" is all about supporting those that take the time to produce quality items themselves, as opposed to the mass-produced (and, often, poor quality) products that the market is becoming more and more saturated with. Buying handmade also means expressing your individuality and cultivating your own style. After all, no two completely handmade items are exactly alike, just as no two people as exactly alike.

How long have you been active in your craft?
I have been creating metal-worked jewelry for about 5 years. I learned how to incorporate glass techniques into my jewelry almost 4 years ago. It's amazing how the two complement each other!


What inspires your work?
Creating things has always been a passion of mine, even before I started making jewelry. I am definitely inspired by modern art. I love clean lines and vibrant colors. I also love taking ancient techniques, and bringing them into the modern era. My buyers are always surprised to hear when the ultra-modern piece they've selected was created with centuries-old methods. Of course, I also thoroughly enjoy playing with the newest techniques. In this way, technology serves as another major inspiration for me. I think that a lot of buyers aren't aware of the "science" of jewelry-making; countless innovations and chemical processes come into play, all serving as tools that can be used in a variety of ways. Coefficients of expansion, devitrification, melting points, annealing temperatures--there are so many things for every glass and metal jewelry artist to consider.

Where do you sell your creations?
I sell my jewelry in a variety of places. Currently, I am participating in the Colorado Farm & Art Market in Colorado Springs. This is taking place every Wednesday through October from 3-7pm at America the Beautiful Park. I have also just opened up a new online store at http://ErinNicole.artfire.com .


Have you earned any special accolades in your field?
As far as accolades go, I have won some prizes in local competitions, and would like to apply for more prestigious awards as time goes on. Right now, I have just recently graduated college and am still getting my ducks in a row!

No comments:

Post a Comment